Friday 1 August 2014

On work and the will of God



One month of being back at the office. One month of our daughters (11 months, 3 years) staying at home (or in the park, in sunny but not torrid days) with their dad. One month of trying to adapt to a new schedule, to a new way of life. One month of searching.

It was very difficult for me to digest the idea of going back to work. I was surrounded by virtual examples of moms with 3-5 kids who were able to work at home and support their families, while homeschooling, baking and doing Pinterest-worthy crafts and that somehow drew me into the mirage that it was possible for us too. I was at that point in which I was wondering why going back to work was allowed to happen at all – if my purpose in life is to stay at home and look after my family.

It did not occurred to me that, in OUR situation, at THIS POINT in our life, this wasn't possible. Maybe it will be at some point in the future, maybe it won't. I'm not able to know what would be best for us. But I am able (though it is really tough sometimes) to trust God that He knows best. And that He will lead us on our way. As one of our archbishops used to say all the time that we need to do our best, wherever God places us – be it at work, or at home, or at school, etc.





"On the will of God by Saint Silouan
 

It is a great good to give oneself up to the will of God. Then the Lord alone is in the soul. No other thought can enter in, and the soul feels God's love, even though the body be suffering.

The proud man does not want to live according to God's will: he likes to be his own master and does not see that man has not wisdom enough to guide himself without God. And I, when I lived in the world, knew not the Lord and His Holy Spirit, nor how the Lord loves us—I relied on my own understanding; but when by the Holy Spirit I came to know our Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, my soul submitted to God, and now I accept every affliction that befalls me, and say: "The Lord looks down on me. What is there to fear?" But before, I could not live in this manner.

Life is much easier for the man who is given over to the will of God, since in illness, in poverty, in persecution he reflects thus: "Such is God's pleasure, and I must endure on account of my sins." " (full text here).

Saint Silouan, pray for us, sinners!




No comments:

Post a Comment